Sunday, July 01, 2007

Vest Complete

Larry’s VestThe vest I was making for my husband is finally done - or at least "mostly done". It's still buttonless, and I'm going to add pockets as well. They're already made, I just need to sew them on. The buttons will have to wait until I have time to go shopping, but he probably won't wear it buttoned anyway.

He picked out the kitchen string crochet thread for the vest, and I used a free pattern for Aunt Lydia's Denim Quick Crochet thread to make the vest. I modified the stitch pattern slightly, altered the size, and put the buttonholes on the "man" side.

It wasn't exactly pleasant "yarn" to knit with, but it made a fairly nice fabric, especially after machine washing and drying. It shrinks lengthwise quite a bit when machine dried, so it was a bit difficult to judge how large to make the vest. I finally decided that the shrinkage would probably be offset by the stretching of the cotton from the weight, and just knit it to the dimensions I wanted. It may have shrunk just a bit more than I expected, but it's close enough and it may still grow a bit with wearing.

He's happy with it, and I guess that's what counts, isn't it? It's good to finally have the monkey off my back and have it done and wearable.

I used 2 balls of Royale Fashion Crochet Thread (100% mercerized cotton), size 3. I just noticed that the label says not to machine dry it - oops. The machine drying does change the knitted fabric quite a bit - it's thicker, softer and more cottony instead of the looser, linen-y feel that it had before, but I was expecting that, since I machine washed and dried my swatch. It's not that it's "better" or "worse" after the wash and dry, it's just "different". At least I won't worry about him accidentally throwing it in the dryer and ruining it.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Very nice vest. I don't think I would have the patience to knit something that big with yarn that small.

Margene said...

You really stuck with it...good work. He looks great in it and he had better wear it often!

Heather Joins The Round said...

Handknit garment for husband out of skinny cotton yarn=TRUE LOVE.

Erin said...

It looks great and he sure looks happy wearing it! Totally worth it I think.